Investing in Leadership
In 2017 City Council pay was $9,480 per year. That pays for less than 10 hours per week. To do the best job, council is a 40-hour per week job. Half of the current council members have other jobs and can’t give 40 hours to council. The council members who do give 40 hrs per week are paid less than $5 an hour.
Council is responsible for:
- Approving and supervising a $500 million per year budget.
- Overseeing a 2,000 employee staff.
- Answering to 161,000 constituents.
- Making the decisions that shape Fort Collins
The Full-Time Council workweek looks something like:
- 15 hours – Researching topics from Advertising to Zoning.
- 15 hours – Official and community meetings.
- 5 hours – Meeting with individual constituents.
- 5 hours – Meeting with City staff leaders.
Area Median Income (AMI) is a fair wage
The Fort Collins Area Median Income is about $60,000/yr, roughly the salary of a city bus driver, parks maintenance tech, police dispatcher, and librarian. By offering AMI we open the possibility of serving on City Council to people who can’t afford to work for $10k per year.
The money (~$550k) will come from savings generated not a tax increase. Council routinely over-funds projects without a thorough review of performance or need. One example is the $500k annually for solar rebates that are no longer needed. A professional City Council will identify these opportunities and save money.
Amendment 1 is not related to the tax question on the ballot.
Please browse the pages and posts and provide any feedback that you might have. Contact us with any questions and to find out how you can help.